Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy prices

>How on earth is competing in the
> show ring going to determine if the dog is a good enough example of the
breed
> to be bred?

 Think not of winning - think of learning!  I have never, ever learned as
much about conformation than at ringside, speaking with other breeders.
Physically showing and discussing particulars about the standard.  Taking a
part of a sentence and analyzing it physically on our dogs.  Breeders
showing, "see, this is what is meant by the sentence . . . ", "see how your
dog has this . . ." etc.  And I give a public "Thank You" to the breeders
willing to share their knowledge (which is most of the breeders).

> IF and I mean ONLY IF, conformation showing was judged more fairly on a
> CONSISTENT basis then yes, I could agree that in most cases the dogs that
are being bred should wear that CH title. ,>

I agree that judging is not always consistent - BUT, that is life!!
Nothing is consistent and there will always be politics involved, etc.  And
it always will be.  Like I said before, think not of winning all the time,
think of learning!  And certainly getting a judges and other experienced
breeders opinions of your dog is better than getting none!

> I can tell you this, if I owned a ranch (going back to a previous email I
> posted) and needed a LGD and knew another rancher that had a pair they
were
> very happy with on their farm and they bred them, I can say with a fair
amount
> of certainty that I would purchase my "working" dog from a breeder that
was
> breeding "working" parents before I would purchase from a breeder that
only
> bred for shows.

Well, good luck then.  I purchased my 2nd pyr from a working small ranch
pair, she is dysplastic.  A sibling of same litter is overly aggressive.
Another sibling of same litter is excessively shy.  This is definately not
worth the $125 I saved on the purchase price of this dog, with no
guarantees of course!

Then again - someone mentioned that you cannot guarantee that a pup from a
show litter will work.  I'd like to disagree and say that show breeders can
and do guarantee their dog will become an adaptable  working pyr, in
writing!  They can temperament test their pups to help determine the pups
more suitable to a working life, and will replace or refund if the pup does
not work out.  Of course you cannot guarantee that a working buyer will
provide the correct environment (& training) to provide the pup the chance
to become a livestock guardian.

I have neighbors who "go over" other pyrs and declare them sound.  These
neighbors have bred pyrs.  This makes them an expert, right?  Wrong.  These
neighbors have never seen the illustrated standard.  These neighbors have
seen perhaps a dozen other pyrs in their whole lives?   How can they say
their pyrs are sound?   How can they say they know what a sound pyr is??

> This is again intended as food for thought and in no way is directed at
any
> one individual.  I will get down off my "soap box" now before I get stuff
> thrown at me and fall off!!!! LOL

Please allow me to "ditto", the same goes for what I just blabbed on
about!!  That's enough from me.

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com
Gold Hill, Oregon