Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy wanted

I'm somewhat reluctant to add my voice to the fray here, but as co-owner
of my third pyr, all of whom have been strictly for companionship, wanted
to share our experience. The first (one of yours, Joe!) was 7 when I met
her, had been with Peg for most of her life, and was a sweet gentle girl
who lived to be 12 1/2. After a year, when no rescue dog had appeared
whose needs seemed to fit our living situation (city apartment) we were
referred to someone who had just bred her bitch. Although I don't think
she has been able to follow through on her plan to move into showing and
breeding--because of finances--she did everything right. Xrays, OFA and
other relevant testing, assessment of pedigree, and finally negotiation to
breed to a wonderful sire (Kenneview's Tuff Stuff). We had asked for a
bitch, but after we had visited the pups at 3 weeks, were asked if we
would take whichever of the large dominant pups the breeder didn't keep,
because we were the potential owners with most experience of the breed. We
ended up with big feisty Paddington, who couldn't have been more different
than our dear Sugar, yet who instantly became the love of our life. All
the pups were sold as pet quality, with spay-neuter contracts, for $600,
and I am sure that the breeder didn't break even in terms of the resources
she had put into this litter. Although we'd expected initially to "choose"
our puppy, we knew when we saw them that each pup had the potential to
become "ours"--and that the breeder knew better than we did which would
make most sense for puppy *and* owner. For example, the couple buying
their first pyr and who had a young family would have had a hard time with
Paddington's rambunctious puppy behavior. The folks who wanted a second
LSG had to consider compatibility with the one they already had.
When we got Shelley, a year and a half later, as a 4 year old adult who
was retiring from the show ring and motherhood, we were asked only to pay
to have her spayed. Her owners knew we did therapy dog work with
Paddington and recognized in Shelley the potential she had for this, and
that she would be happier with a job.
Paddington ended up needing surgery for patellar luxation; Shelley
developed bone cancer. We don't even *want* to add up veterinary bills
over the past five years, nevermind if we go back to Sugar's time!
Fortunately, we are in the position to at least have *credit* when we
don't have the cash, and of course we would--and will-- do it all again.
I agree that money should not be (and in our experience, *is* not) the
driving force behind acquiring a dog that will be a wonderful family
companion. But given the world we live in, it has to be considered. I
agree with those who are suspicious about pyrs advertised for low prices.
I've posted before about the BYB of rotweilers in our neighborhood. The
prices go down, as they do in pet stores, as the puppies get older and
less "desirable" in the eyes of potential buyers. Yet price alone will not
determine that puppies or dogs go to the right placement. I really do
believe, that for those of us who especially value this (or any other)
specific breed, adherence to the code of ethics developed by breed
associations is essential as a minimum if inadequate protection for these
incredible creatures, now and in the future. This is what I think we
should be focusing on.
I've gone on too long!
Ann Wetherilt