Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy prices

>A LGD might by a Pyr.  A Pyr is always a LGD.  You good folks need to
>understand the potential difference.  You must stop mischarticerizing dogs
>that are bred  for show as not being working dogs.  It simply is not true and
>you generalizations are wrong.  There are those people who would like for you
>believe that they specialize in breeding "working stock", as if  there is
some
>environmentally  learned genetic process going on.  It is not true.  The
breed
>is very ancient and the guardian qualities are so basic to the breed.  They
>are not lost by breeding to the standard for show stock.  I am sure someone
>will quote an exception, but lets not pettifog the issue.  In the main the
>breed guards.  My dogs will and do work with the best of them.   Yours will
>too.  Some of our dogs do not conform very well with the written standard
>though.
>
>Joe
Hi Joe I can quote an example which proves you are correct. In UK our dogs
are never used as LG because of public rights of way and smaller fields,
and funnily enough no major predictors!  The PMDC of UK does not encourage
sale of dogs for flock guarding or for that matter as "guard dogs". We were
fortunate enough to meet Geraldine Swierzy who came over to select stock
from the Startrax kennel line. These dogs had never worked, and neither
their ancestors for at least my period of breeding which is almost thirty
years. As soon as they were in Canada they were "made up", and what is more
Geraldine tells me that they see off the local predator with great vigor.
Up to this time I would have been horrified to think of my dogs as guards
but....
"Breeding shows" does it not?
Ian