Re: [PyrNet-L] Rescues

In a message dated 3/26/1998 9:18:03 AM Central Standard Time, shasta@srv.net
writes:

<< 	I have a question about evaluating the temperment of not only Rescues, but
 also puppies. I am a very tongue-in-cheek type of person, but worry a lot
 about this. Our oldest Pyr is 7, and the last litter is now 3, so we don't
 have that much expercience with Pyrs. Yet, we are called upon to rescue
 Pyrs and I feel that we do our best, but we are lacking knowledge about
 temperments.  >>

I've never done any official temperment testing on dogs or pups. I can tell
you what I do when I pick out a pup or get to know what an older dog is like
though<g>. With a pup I roll him/her over on their back, if they calm
immediantly-that's the pup I'd pick. If they keep fighting and struggling and
won't hold still, that's the pup I wouldn't take even if it were the last pup
left. I like the pup who sits back and doesn't come jumping up on me right
away. The one who sits back and watches. I take their toes and squeeze just a
little like you would if you were trimming their nails. If they overreact or
start jerking away, I don't choose that pup either. I choose the pup that
patiently lets me do what I want. I do basically the same thing with adults. I
take their food and watch for their reaction (be careful when doing this with
strange dogs). I hold their muzzle and stand over them, look in their ears,
hold their paws and lift their tails. Basically just "mess with them" to see
if they'll allow it patiently. I don't know what the official testers do, but
this is what I do. I've got 7 very sweet, very calm dogs who will allow me to
do ANYthing to them without budging. Does anyone else have any other little
"tricks" they do? I don't know where I picked this stuff up at, it's just
habit now.
Mitzi    PyrsRUs@aol.com
Pyr & Golden Owner, Future Newf Owner  :-)
See my dogs at http://members.aol.com/PyrsRUs/dogs.html