Re: [PyrNet-L] Rescues

> Hello,
> 	I have a question about evaluating the temperment of not only Rescues,
but
> also puppies.
 ,< < snip > >
 Is
> there any info ar step-by-step material out there. So far everything has
> gone good, but I would hate to "guess" wrong and do an injustice to
either
> a dog or person. Also what about puppies, how do you know a dominate (to
> humans) dog from a passive type at 8 to 10 weeks of age.

Hi Sharon.

There is a good temperament test in "Livestock Protection Dogs  Selection,
Care and Training" by David E. Sims & Orysia Dawydiak.  This includes a
description and steps of giving the PAT (Puppy Aptitude Test).  It is
cautioned, however, that temperament testing a puppy is a useful indicator
of temperament, not a foolproof predictor.  This test can be given from 6
to 10 or 12 weeks of age and the pups reactions are scored on the
following:
Social Aptitude includes:  Social Attraction,  Following, Restraint
Dominance (of which part some breeders do not like to give because they do
not like to restrain their pup), Social Dominance, and Elevation Dominance.

Obedience Aptitute includes:  Retrieving (this test is not specially made
for pyrs <g>), Touch Sensitivity, Sound Sensitivity, Chase Instinct, and
Sight Sensitivity.
General Category:  Energy level.
Response to Livestock Category (for livestock guarding temperament
testing):  Passive Livestock, no eye contact;  Active Stock, eye contact;
Aggressive Stock, eye contact, stomping, lowered head; and Aggressive
Stock, charges puppy.
And finally, the Barrier test.

This book is published by OTR Publications, P.O. Box 1243, Ft. Payne, AL
35967, and you can probably order it from one of the on-line book stores
also.  If you want more info, you can e-mail me privately, although I'm
only stating what's in the book, and I have only given one litter this
test, so I am only a beginner myself!  :-)   BTW, this test does not only
test for good livestock guarding abilities, but also for submissive and
aggressive tendancies, in order to help place the pups in proper homes.
Again, temperament testing is not a foolproof method of determining adult
behavior, especially when the environment where the pup grows up is going
to have a big influence on his/her adult temperament.

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com
Gold Hill, Oregon