Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Debarking

audrey eischens wrote:

> I would like to hear from those of you who have had your Pyrs debarked.
> How long does the procedure last?

That varies from vet to vet - mine - the procedure itself takes about 15
min but the dog is there about half a day or longer depending how they
deal with the anethesia.

  Does it affect the mental health of the
> dog?

I have 2 that are debarked and I can say, they are the same dogs that
they were before, they still bark just as much but the volume is gone on
one and turned down on the other.
I worried about this with the first one but, when she had no volume and
the same personality well, that made doing the second one a bit easier.

  Are they uncomfortable after the procedure and if so how long?

My vet gives them some pain meds while they are there and sends them
home with none - they don't need it. They get soft food for dinner that
night and back to their regular kibble the next day.

> Please no lectures on the cons of debarking.  I only want to hear from
> those who have done it and what the results were.

Please remember the extent of sound that you have left when they are
done varies from dog to dog, check and make sure it is legal in your
state - there are some it's not(thank you dog fighting and drug
dealers). If the vet says they have to make an exterior inscision on a
Pyr - find another vet, Pyrs can be done thru the mouth - the exterior
inscision does cut muscle tissue and there is a much longer recovery
time and much greater risks.

I hope that helps, any more questions - I had to answer this stuff on
TV<G>

Lisa