Second of all there are 2 vets in my state that do this procedure well.  But
they do it
differently.
    #1 Debarking ( The type nearly totally lacking any sound volume) is done
with
          a Laser type procedure.  Most of the Sheltie/Collie type breeders in
our
          region do this type.
     #2 Debarking is really a Toning of the sound. (ie: the vocal cords are
quite
          literally "notched"(for want of a better term) which lowers the
volume.
          The dog can still bark but it will only have 1/4 to 1/2 the previous
volume.
           This is the type I have personal experience with (I breed Beagles
and show
           Pyrs).While my Beagles are not barkers, when you have 10 of them
going off
           in alarm at the same time, you start to doubt your sanity.   Hense
the
           are "Toned" for the comfort of my neighbors.   I choose to have my
dogs
           but my neighbors did not.  I choose not to inflict my dogs on my
neighbors.
           So we debark.
I have only had to debark one Pyr myself.   And I chose to do so because it
was
the only way I could live with this dog.   Her guarding instinct is very
strong, and she
truly feels that she must protect her "flock " (in this case of beagles).  I
can't very
well train her instinct out of her, so this has been the best compromise for
us all.

Here's the scoop on the procedure.   The vet uses Atropine as the anesthetic
in
this case, along with a type of injection to decrease saliva flow & cause a
dry
mouth for the the procedure.  Atropine I was told is used because as soon as
the procedure is done, they give an antidote to bring the dog around (about 10
minutes tops start to finish).  My vet allows us to be present during the
procedure
to help, because they are in and out so fast.   Once the dog is under
anesthetic
a trach tube is put down the throat to aid in breathing during the procedure.
Then
a pair of surgical forceps is passed down the throat to the vocal cord and the
cord
is notched two to three times depending on the type of bark that individual
dog has.
The only pyr I've done had a very high pitched Collie type of bark that
carried for
very long distances.  Not only was the procedure successful in her case (she
has 1/2 the bark of before but it quieted the hysterical tone of her voice.
She has
a more traditional pyr deep bark now, and it does not carry the range of
distance.
You can hear her only to the next neighbors yard now, not a mile away.

Of all the dogs I've done over the years, not one has ever had a problem.
There
has been no bleeding or swelling following the procedure.  They have eaten
their
dinner with no apparent effect whatsoever.   The toning procedure is very much
similar to a childs tonsilectomy, but without the associated pain, since
nothing
is being cut away.   They receive the same meal afterwards that they always
did.

Now the total Debark from people who have used this is different.  There may
be some swelling or bleeding (it goes without saying, that a dog with a blood
disorder should never have this done anyway).  And the dogs are fed a soft
diet for about 3 days.

One of the biggest factors of doing either procedure is that you must keep the
dog from barking for 72 hours.  If they form scar tissue in the area (from
barking)
they cause increased circulation & saliva flow over the area, which allows
them
to regain their voice sometimes to almost the total predebarking volume.  I
learned
this the hard way with a 6 year old male beagle (which according to the vet
had
a huge vocal cord to have done a Foxhound proud).  He had a very loud deep
bay when at full volume.  We ended up having to do him twice, because they
forgot to tell me (my first visit, and first debark) not to allow him to bark
for 3 days.
So if you have to debark, make sure you keep them quiet & allow the procedure
to heal the correct way.

I know some people regard either procedure as cruel to the dog.  But the fact
of
the matter is a lot of us live in areas where the authorities would love to
keep any
one from having a kennel.    If my work keeps me in this state, there has to
be a
compromise somewhere.   I wish to keep my dogs, so I keep my neighbors happy.
Also I have yet to see that it has changed the dog in any way.  They are
actually
happier because they are allowed to play, run & bark with no interference from
me.
They do not seem to notice anything has happened at all.  The net result is
they are happy & so am I & my neighbors.   I hope this helps and explains the
procedure.
EMail me privately if you have further questions.
Sharon