Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Debarking

> Now the total Debark from people who have used this is different.  There may
> be some swelling or bleeding (it goes without saying, that a dog with a blood
> disorder should never have this done anyway).  And the dogs are fed a soft
> diet for about 3 days.

Both my Pyrs have had the "total" procedure - one has a sof woof - one
has no bark other than air noise. If this procedure is done correctly(I
checked every medical source on info for 4 months before the first one),
there is extremely little swelling and there should be no bleeding.
There should be no more swelling than there is for the notch procedure
and either surgery takes about the same amount of time. My dogs were not
on a soft diet except for that night - but they had been done at 1 in
the afternoon.

> One of the biggest factors of doing either procedure is that you must keep the
> dog from barking for 72 hours.  If they form scar tissue in the area (from
> barking)
> they cause increased circulation & saliva flow over the area, which allows
> them
> to regain their voice sometimes to almost the total predebarking volume.

I have to disagree here as well. You keep them at rest as with any
surgery but, if the voacl chord are tacked properly during the
procedure, barking within the first 72 hours has no efeect whatsoever.
My vet also has a policy on doing it that if the bark returns to an
unacceptable level within a year, he will redo it at no cost. Scar
tissue forms not neccesarily from barking after surgery but as a course
of genetics and nature, each individual dog is different as every human
is different - from experience I can say scar tissue forms from a
procedure in one and not the other even under identical circumstance.

> I know some people regard either procedure as cruel to the dog.  But the fact
> of
> the matter is a lot of us live in areas where the authorities would love to
> keep any
> one from having a kennel.

I went on TV about debarking because the drug dealers and dog fighters
in the are are also using it to keep the dogs from being heard either as
guard dogs to not give warning that is audible or to kepp people from
hearing a loosing dogs cries of pain. The news had made it out to sound
like a 60's back street abortion - the way the criminals are doing it,
yes, it is - they are doing it themselves. This is the big reason many
athorities are trying to get the procedure outlawed, not to stop
kennels. That one small piece stopped a bill from being introduced in
the state Senate and 2 city councils from making an ordinace against it.

Lisa