Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Snake Control

In a message dated 3/28/1998 3:12:00 PM Central Standard Time,
cloudancecwn@earthlink.net writes:

<< I have just had a tremendous scare! I just moved to a new place and I
 was clearing some brush along the fence row and a rattle snake came at
 me! Luckily I killed it with the weed eater. However, a smaller one got
 away. No telling how many more there are. Does anyone know a way to get
 rid of snakes. I don't want my dogs, kids, or me to get bit.
 Thanks in advance for any info. >>

We live out in the country in Oklahoma and that's one of my biggest fears!!
Snakes love it where there's tall grass, logs, branches or rocks to hide
under. Most of our land is cleared, but I know there's rattlesnakes and
copperheads in the wooded area. We keep the grass cut and weed eated around
the dog's fence and the house, around the deck, trees, etc. We've also got at
least a 200 ft cleared area on the outside of the fence that we keep short.
There's not really anything you can put down to keep snakes away, just make
your area undesireable for them. Snakes are scared to death of us and dogs.
They won't attack unless we give them no choice. Of course if you accidently
step on one, to them that's a threat. I went to the library and checked out a
bunch of books on them. They scare me, but I wanted to know more about them so
I'd have as much advantage as possible.  They're out most during the hottest
time of day. Make sure you know where to takes your dogs if they get bit.
Usually only the vet emergency hospitals have the anti-venom, but check to
make sure ahead of time. I figured up the cost to treat one of my Pyrs for
rattlesnake bite and it'd run $800-$900.00. With no guarantee they'd even live
if I didn't get them there soon enough. Snakes are scary things. It's my
insentive to stay  on my husband's butt to keep the yard mowed and weed eated
though <bg>.
Mitzi    PyrsRUs@aol.com
Pyr & Golden Owner, Future Newf Owner  :-)
See my dogs at http://members.aol.com/PyrsRUs/dogs.html