Re: [PyrNet-L] Dilema

In a message dated 3/30/1998 10:08:08 PM Central Standard Time,
THVICEPREZ@aol.com writes:

<< I have a real dilema.  We were planning on getting a pyr in May, it would
be
 our first one.  My brother just told my mom that he has to get rid of his
 dogs, one is a pyr she is about 4yrs old I think and has been spayed.  I
would
 love to have her but I don't really know what she is like I know she has
spent
 most of her life outside and she has been around children. My brother has 5.
 I told him I would take her for the weekend but my husband would rather get a
 puppy, he says she wouldn't be like our dog  but would always be my brothers.
 I would rather have a puppy too but I can't see her going to a shelter and I
 want to give it a try with her.  Any advice?  Maybe I'll know more about her
 after the weekend and see how things go, and I know all of you out there will
 help me with any problems or questions I might have. >>

Try her out. If she's a sweet dog (chances are she is) then keep her and still
get the pup in May :-) Perfect solution. I'm (sorta) kidding, but when you
actually add up the cost, it's truly not that much more to have 2 Pyrs
compared to 1. I've got 7 dogs, and trust me, it's not anything near as hard
as it "sounds". With the adults age, she's very possibly way past the active
stage and is pretty much a couch potatoe. We got a pup and a 4 1/2 yr old
adult female at the same time. It wasn't planned that way, but I'd wanted this
particular female (the mother of my 1st Pyr) for a long time. When I went to
pick up another of my pups, the breeder mentioned that she was looking for a
home for her. She came home with us <bg>. She had been an outside dog all her
life also. She fit in absolutely wonderful with my other dogs and with us.
She's PERFECT, and I mean that wholeheartedly. She was no problem nor any
extra "work" whatsoever. Never once pottied in the house, just waited until I
let her out. There's alot to be said for the older dog, so many advantages.
I'm sorry this got so long. I just want you to know that sometimes the best
decision is right before your eyes and you just have to "allow" yourself to
consider it. Good luck.
 (You can see the female I'm talking about on my web page. Her name is Icy).
Mitzi    PyrsRUs@aol.com       Oklahoma
Pyr & Golden Owner, Future Newf Owner  :-)
See my dogs at http://members.aol.com/PyrsRUs/dogs.html