Re: [PyrNet-L] invisible fencing

NOTE TO LINDA/ADMINISTRATOR THAT'S ON DUTY:  I don't know if I've gone to
far with specific product brand names and opinions.  If I have, please edit
as appropriate and I promise to learn from it and not be upset.  THANK
YOU!!!

>    Can anyone tell me if invisible fencing is effective with a pyr, or if
>they could possibly break through it or not respond.
<snip>

We tried the brand name Invisible Fence several years ago with two adult
Pyrs with mixed results as follows:

The more passive and submissive male was no problem with the fencing unless
and until the female alpha was outside as well.  Nothing much stopped her
from going through the fence when she wanted to (UPS trucks (because
they're brown like bears? [grin], bicyclists, rollerbladers, people walking
by, dogs walking by, mosquitos flying by....you get the picture).  And
where the female went, when they were both out, so did the male.  Then it
became interesting because it started being too much of a deterrent for
them to come back in (guess our yard wasn't as interesting as "the great
outdoors"!).  We were not happy campers!

When we talked to the company, they suggested their stronger battery which
did work well (did have to clip the coat in the front of the neck to get
good connection).  Stronger battery worked great -- even through 4 feet of
snow drifted in the yard!  And the company had a plan where they would
periodically mail out the new batteries so we could be assured of replacing
them before they died -- which would have been a big problem!

The bad news (at least for us):  the company quit making the stronger
battery and we could not find it from another source.  Weaker battery was
not strong enough to deter either of them from going through.  So....we had
to give up.

As I said, this was a couple years ago so products may (and likely have)
been changed and improved.  Also this was the experience with just one
product and the company was very supportive -- to the point they were able.
And, of course all no Pyrs are alike.

Kathy along with the barking, spring-loving, fomerly-white Doc, & KD (hey
Mom, where did the cold, white stuff go -- the ground looks funny
green/brown)