Re: [PyrNet-L] What is difference between Tatra Mountain Dog & Great Pyrenees

In a message dated 5/2/98 6:21:51 AM EST, JGentzel@aol.com writes:

<< Are they always all white?  Do they have double dew claws?  How tall are
they?
 What is their weight?  In the head how do they look compared to a Great
 Pyrenees that you are familiar? >>

Hi Joe:

Sorry it takes me so long to respond. :)

When my aunt purchased her Tatras, she was told that they are mostly all
white.  Occasionally, there will be some specimens that are cream coloured.
When I recently saw them, I compared them to my Pyr, and they look sooooo
similar, except that I noticed that their muzzles are slightly more pointier
than my Pyr, otherwise they looked a lot alike.  Her male stands at 30", and
the female stands at 27".  The female weights 100 lbs, and the male weights
123 1/2.  (she just got both of them to the vet, so these weights are
accurate).  The vet says neither one is overweight, and very healthy.
She says that neither one is an escape artist like my Pyr.  We have 6' high
stockade and our guy started to make huge holes under the fence to get out.
Now we fixed him, as we put huge rocks and boulders around the fence.  She
says her dogs really aren't interested in roaming, which is probably really
odd for a flock guardian.
She told me that they are very easy going and like to be with her, yet neither
was destructive as a puppy.  Maybe she was just lucky, as I heard someone on
the list mentioning that they had a rescue that was very destructive.  I guess
it depends on the individual dog.

Teri