Re: [PyrNet-L] dominance/aggression

>Janice Swenson wrote:
>>
>> Both on and off property.  No, offense, but these dogs are only
>> supposed to do what is appropriate for the situation.  They are
>> supposed to process the situation out and only use aggression as a
>> last resort.  That does mean not going after other dogs on their
>> property when the situation doesn't warrant it.
>
>Susan Dunn> wrote:

>I agree with Ms. Wilder
>
>Pyrs are very protective of personal property.  My boys would never let
>a strange dog or person on their property without my letting them know
>its ok.
>
>Even at shows my boys would never allow another male dog near me, they
>are on gaurd all the time.  Yes, they do try and figure out what the
>situation is in their minds, but, they would never allow the other to
>make the first move.

Dog language is understood by dogs and in most cases dogs alone, combine
this with an owner's anxiety
and you can find the dog being aggressive when you think it should not.
With age comes wisdom in both humans & animals (so we hope).

Young dogs will exert their dominance & aggression 18 months is usually when
you start seeing it rear it's ugly head.    Hormones are surging and they
all want to be one of big boys!   It takes some time for them to learn how
to assess and react in certain situations and the owner's handling of these
situations is key.    If your dog feels your tension he is most likely to
react to that and become on guard - especially if he is young.     At shows
it happens allot - especially if there is a female in season (heat) - most
males who are otherwise very docile will become assertive and be more up.

Guarding  -  whether male or female.........My female enjoys the company of
our next door neighbors dog, however, when my male was a pup and in our
ard  - my neighbors dog peaked his head over the fence (male dog) - my
female flew and pounded the fence baring teeth and knocked that dog for a
loop - kid you not, she moved that panel of fence and her buddy went  flying
right through the trees.   Thankfully he was not hurt - but he has never
tried looking into our yard since.

Was she wrong in doing so?   Knowing her I have to say no - this is  typical
of her  - she rather intimidate than fight.   This is part of her role as
guardian.    She barks to ward off predators - she makes her presence known,
hence the yard becomes off limits to predators and is safe  -  and isn't
that what guarding is all about.

Thanks and take care all,
Dianne Migas
jdmigas@email.msn.com