Re: [PyrNet-L] dominance/aggression

Janice wrote:
I have more problems with stupid owners and their dogs than with my own.  At
a show and out in public
I want my dogs to bring forth a good impression of the breed and that
doesn't mean going for other dogs when it's not warranted.

I agree - but - (bg) some owners are not educated and may never become
educated so it is our responsibility to watch out for our dogs.    I also
agree that training is key and I do not believe that an uneducated owner
should bring their dogs to a dog show.     This is not the forum for an
owner to use for dog socialization - there are classes for that.

I was at a hotel and was standing with my male outside when the door flew
open and all that came out was an Irish Setter (no offense) on a flexi
lead - it was dark & cold out and the bright owner didn't want to come out
with the dog so she just opened the door and extended the lead while she
stayed inside!    Well, this dog came out of no where and headed right for
me  - what do you think my male did?   He had never shown aggression before
that - but he did then.     He didn't connect because I intervened.

However, through this all and about 5ft away were a couple standing there
with their Newfie.    There Newfie made no response and they said to me -
"well Newfies are not known to be dog aggressive" as they clung to their dog
keeping it safe from my viscous Pyr.    I was pretty &*&&* mad at that.    I
turned and said - Pyr's are guard dogs and that is exactly what my dog did.
At least I know if something came out to attack me he would handle it.   I
said look at the situation out comes a dog springing  from a door - no owner
to be seen and the dog comes right at me - what should my dog do - just
stand there and watch?    Was the dog friendly?   Who knows?     I told the
Irish Setter woman if she loved her dog so much she would take better care
of it and get an education in dog behavior.      I told her that type of
carelessness could cause the life of her dog.

Thanks and take care,

Dianne Migas,
jdmigas@email.msn.com