Re: [PyrNet-L] dominance/aggression

> .  Also agression is a tricky word.  To many think the
> definition of agression is a dog who attacks or bites...this is not
> always the case.

Adrienne,You are right that everyone has a different definition.
My definition of unwanted aggression in a dog is one who
attacks without cause.  I expect my dogs to tolerate animals who
are not a threat to the livestock or humans.   I do not expect them
to tolerate animals that are trying to get into the pastures, are
harassing the livestock through the fence or are a threat
to their people.  Posturing and barking are the most
acceptable forms of guarding.  If the threatening dog
does not back down or run, than a fight may occur.

An example, my husband was walking our 10 1/2 yr. old female
while we were visiting at WSU.  A male newf. being walked (he
was around 100 feet away) started barking and lunging and
broke away from his owner.  Our pyr calmly stepped in front of
my husband and stared down the newf.  He stopped 30 to 40
feet away and continued to bark but didn't take another
step toward BB.  His owner was able to catch him at that
point.

This is the behavior I want, deterring a problem and
not escalating it unless it is necessary.  This is also what I
think you meant in your post and what Joe was explaining.
Kerry