[PyrNet-L] My Pyr retrieves also

Colette,

Over 30 years in Pyrs, a kennel, and I don't know how many
dogs, we now have a Great Pyrenees retriever. She does not
retrieve endlessly as I have seen some Poodles do. Perhaps
seven or eight tosses and returns, then she will either lay
down and start chewing the ball, or initiate a game of "keep
away" played by her rules.

Her behavior in this is so different from other Pyrs we had. She
not only chases and retrieves balls, if I'm accurate she can catch
a frisbee. She flips balls in the air, throws them away from
herself and chases them, and pushes her head into the newspaper
you are reading and drops it in your lap. She also catches
popcorn and grapes when you flip them at her. Thats because
she likes popcorn and grapes. Flip something at her that she
doesn't like and it lands on the floor.

We thought this behavior very unique, and have indeed encouraged
it. We thought that this may be because since we lost Patou
she is the "only child", spoiled rotten and with only humans to
interact with when we are home, and just keeping herself occupied
and "out of trouble" when we are at work.

Very different, but certainly lots of fun.

--------

--
  Carol
 Carol Brescher Boyle                Improving the health of our dogs,

 Need a wholesome dog-friendly recipe? See the "Recipe of the month"
        at the our web-site http://www.naturaldogfood.com