Re: [PyrNet-L] big paws

On Sun, 24 May 1998 12:15:56 -0500, Daniel J Olson wrote:

 <<I have a question.  We just recently got a 4 yr old female pyr(had
her
 about a month now).  When she wants to be petted she puts her paw on
you
 and digs her nails in, she has scratched my 3yr old son down the
side of
 his face and his stomach and has gotten me as well. She is the
sweetest
 most gental dog but how do I get her to stop putting her paws up?
She even
 does it while I am petting her, I push her paw down and say no paw
but it
 doesn't seem to do any good. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.>>

Try squeezing her paw pretty hard as soon as she does it. Make it
"uncomfortable" for her. And soon as she pulls her foot away
immediantly tell her "Good girl!". It's probably going to take 10-15
consistant (keyword) tries before she realizes that she doesn't *like
it. My Goldens did the same thing as pups and that's what worked well
for us.
~Mitzi Potter~
   Pyrs-R-Us@popline.com
  Okla City  OK