Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr Epilepsy

Terry Tanner wrote:

> I hope someone has information concerning the propensity of the Pyr to
> epilepsy.

Terry, I was so sorry to hear about your Beau and pray that your vet
will determine the cause and cure quickly.  During the 5 years that I
was the GPCA Secretary and was the Great Pyrenees contact person for
people who called the AKC, I did receive a number of calls from Pyr
owners whose dogs suffered from seizures.  I was surprised because I had
not previously thought that epilepsy was a problem in our breed.  I
think that it does occur in the breed but is not common.  As I
understand it, epilepsy can be hereditary but it can also be caused by a
number of other things from injury to allergies.  Do you know if you pup
has relatives that have experienced seizures?  I have heard that there
have been some wonderful discoveries in treatment through a study in
Texas.  Good luck, keep us informed.
Charlotte