[PyrNet-L] CHAT: CARE: New Puppies 13!!!!

Yes, 13 puppies. Jazz ( Am.Mex.Int.Ch. Mistry's Jazz of Stonybrook)
is proud to announce her 13 new puppies (her first litter), 6 boys, 7
girls, all marked. Proud dad is Mistry's Trois Ibn Euzkotar. All are
doing great.

   Jazz's temperature dropped to 99.3 on Thursday. Jazz started to get
restless during the night. Not being able to get comfortable. Wanting to

go outside to go to the bathroom, but would then go over to the Maple
tree and dig or better yet excavate (a ditch digger or rototiller
couldn't have done it quicker than her)<g>. It is beyond believe how
fast they can dig when they are close to whelping. Needless to say, the
next several trips outside were on a leash.

   She came in from one of the trips outside, had one contraction and at

5:28am had her first pup, a male 1 lb 1 oz. At 5:35 came the next pup,
and so on and so on. My husband, Kim (a friend), and Staci (17 year old
daughter) were all up by the second pup. By the third pup daughters
Krysta 5 years and Deanna 2 years are up. Everyone is excited. Outside,
the older ladies (pyrs) hear the sounds of puppies and are so excited
(they do love puppies).

   All is going well. There are 3 puppies,  and my husband leaves at
7:00am  to bring the oldest to school. He comes back and by the time he
leaves again at 8:15 to bring Krysta (who doesn't want to leave) to
school, there are 5 pups.  Kim (doesn't want to leave either) calls in
late to work,  but has to leave at 9:45, now there are 7 puppies.

   It is now Deanna and me. I thought that there were probably 2 more
pups left to be born (boy, was I wrong). When a pup is being born, I put

the other pups in a laundry basket, lined with a towel and heating pad,
so that they don't get stepped on (or whatever). Deanna's job was to
make sure that the puppies stayed covered  while they were in the
basket. As Deanna says "She is a good helper", which she is, and great
moral support for Jazz, telling her that "her puppies are so cute", as
she
is petting Jazz.

   Deanna also has a little stuffed dog that she carries around, we call

him "dogdog" (Krysta named him when she was 1 year old). I look over at
Deanna as she is putting dogdog in the basket with the puppies that she
was watching, she tells me that "dogdog was going to help keep the
puppies
warm". Who could argue with that.<g>

   Well Jazz was finished at 12:20pm. In less than 7 hours she had 14
puppies total, one was born dead. But all are doing great. I am
supplementing 3
times a day with goats milk, to help Jazz out alittle. She gets them
into a pile before she gets up and then before laying down makes sure
that they are in a pile again, so as not to lay on them. The kids told
me that when the puppies are in a pile they look like a dalmation
(because of the body spots).Out of the mouths of  babes.

   It has now been 3 days and since they are all doing fine and have all

gained 2 to 4 oz already, I may get a bit more sleep. I have been
breeding for 21+ years and have not had a litter this big before ( most
before has been 11). It is always an amazing time (and a lot of work)
when it comes to whelping and having puppies.

  You can see photos of the puppies at:

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/pyr-l/jazzpups.htm

Kim Lasley
Mistry