Re: [PyrNet-L] Question???

Phil & Chris Speakman wrote:
>talking to some other customers and one of
> them mentioned a Pyr.  Now this gentlemen told of a friend of his who
> used to breed Pyrs but doesn't anymore because of how he (the friend)
> had found that male Pyrs when around age 3-4 years would/could turned
> mean.

Chris,
I really hate talk of Pyrs with bad temperaments!  After 30 years with
these dogs, I think they have absolutely wonderful temperaments.  I have
always been certain that none of my dogs would hurt a person and that
they will be gentle with children, elderly and small animals. They have
always been calm and gentle.  In cases where they have needed to protect
they have done exactly what was needed to keep danger away without
biting. Someone recently asked me to think of a small dog that would be
as good with children and I couldn't.

On the other hand, I do think that males who have been spoiled babies
will sometimes get to thinking that they are boss and, when they go
through adolescence, may do something like growl at an owner who tries
to take away something that they have stolen.  This is not bad
temperament - this is poor training.

In my opinion, temperament is hereditary - shy dogs produce puppies that
are shy and bad tempered dogs produce bad tempered puppies. Training can
help, but not much.  That's why it is important to meet adult relatives
of puppies before buying.

My 2 cents worth.
Charlotte
VA