Re: [PyrNet-L] PLEASE Help! Barking problem

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998 Gmu4n6er@aol.com wrote:

> I agree with all the comments about the poor pup being bored.  The problem is
> we have told the new owner that!!!  How do you convince a new owner that she
> has to change her own behavior?  My mom and I also think that the new
> owner/mom is the part of the problem because the husband does not have these
> problems with the pup.  Should we recommend that the pup (and the woman) go to
> obedience school?  Or is the pup still too young (4 months)?  Next time we
> talk to her we'll suggest the garage and the super kong ball.  Thanks for all
> the help...keep it coming!

My suggestion is for the owner to use some common sense and give the pup
what it really needs--her time.  Since she works at home, it would seem
easy for her to take a break and play with the dog for a few minutes in
the yard.  When she has more time, she can take the pup to training
classes (the earlier training begins, the better), to a park, etc. as long
as the pup has something to do. The pup is in its important, formative
years and needs to be active both mentally and physically to develop into
a confident and well-adjusted adult dog.

Crates are handy for a multitude of purposes but why leave a pup in it all
day when the owner could and should be bonding with it instead?  When she
is working in the office, is the crate located in an area in which the pup
can see her?  If not, I'd suggest she move the crate so that the pup can
see her.  If he is housebroken, she could place the pup, a chewy, and a
couple of toys in an ex-pen in the office.  But whatever she does, remind
her to take time out to spend time with her puppy.

David

"Life is a journey, not a destination."