[PyrNet-L] Problems with Noah

Hi Cheryl,

Pleae don't despair with Noah!  He sounds a lot like my 4-year old neutered
male Travis, who was a difficult, dominant puppy from day one, mostly
because my husband and I were pretty ignorant about dealing with a dominant
dog.  We're experts now!  But, boy, was it frustrating along the way.  Two
things helped us the most:  first, learning NOT to try to conquer the fits
of tremendous excitement - really a sort of super-exuberant joie de vivre -
by exerting forceful control, i.e., turning him over on his back and
holding him by the throat, which is what we had been told to do. That only
seemed to escalate the "violence" in him, the 'play' biting at our arms and
shoulders.  We found that grabbing his whole body very tightly with our
forearms (usually around the neck) and stroking him gently with our hands
while speaking to him gently, really quieted him down fast.  Sometimes, in
the worst fits of energy/excitement - usually when he was exhilerated by a
long walk on  a cold day, I might have to do the holding/stroking/speaking
softly to him three times before it was completely successful.  Then I
would give the leash a shake, say Okay, heel! and off we would go just as
if nothing had happened.  He has matured alot since he turned three, and
hasn't had a real fit now for a year.  The second thing that really worked
for me was to "train" him for 5-10 minutes each night.  When I came home
from work I would get a few pieces of non-fat cheese and cheerfully take
him through Sit, Down and Down-stay.  Not more than 5-ten minutes or you
get bored and don't do it.  But just that much time every day seems to
establish a pattern of you being the boss that carries over into walks and
play.  Travis and I both weigh 120, but I have absolutely no doubt of my
ability to control.  I can't help you with the trucks though!  Travis does
the same thing!  We are working on it...
Try the five minute training and the gentling, it really works!
Good luck,
Gerry and Travis, who is sullen because a Slovak Cuvac has been staying
with us for two weeks and has licked half the pots that should have been
his...