Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Behavior: Problems with Noah

Matt Rausch wrote:
> Grabbed my hand in his mouth (not hard enough to bite but hard enough to
> hurt--his teeth hit my bones).  Jumped up on me and started
> scratching/pawing me.  I responded by yelling "no" and pushing him (hard)
> off me.  He responded by jumping on me again (he thought this was some
> game).  He scratched my legs all up, and my arms all up, and my hand is
> sore.

Cheryl,
Noah sounds like a 2 yr. old child when Mom gets on the phone - doing
naughty things and vying for attention when you are talking to someone
else.  Do you think that Noah has decided that you are his playmate and
chew toy?  Were you able to convince him that you are boss when you were
in obedience class? Where are you located, maybe there is a local Pyr
club whose members could suggest obedience trainers that are good with
Pyrs. It sounds like a good obedience class is in order. I would keep
him on leash when you are outside with him and make him sit whenever he
starts leaping about.  If he gets rowdy, put him in a crate or a "time
out" place by himself.  Discourage any "play" activities for the time
being until he is very good at following "sit" and other obedience type
commands. The idea is that he will get praise and treats for doing
obedience work, acting like a gentleman and following commands and will
be ignored and left alone if he acts up.

There are many obedience experts on this list that I am sure will have
better suggestions.  Good luck, let us know how he progresses.
Charlotte