Re: [PyrNet-L] Litter Runts

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 16:42:10 -0400, Murden, Deanna wrote:

 << I would like some feedback from the group regarding the "runts"
of the
  litter.  We visited our breeder again last weekend to choose our
new
  best friend from a litter of ten.  We fell in love with the
littlest
  one, popularly known as the runt.  Smaller on size (at 5 weeks!)
but not
  on personality!!  Do any of you readers own "runts"?? are there any
  health problems? Is she maybe just a little under-nourished since
she
  has so many siblings?? (mind you, she is definately not sickly!!)
We've
  definately tagged her as "ours" so I'm not looking to change my
mind,
  just curious about some of your experiences.  We'll be bringing her
home
  soon and I'm just beside myself with excitement!! >>

I don't think it means a whole lot. My 6 yr old 75 lb male Golden was
the "runt" of the litter at only 5 lbs (!) at 9 wks! Gosh, he was
tiny! But he grew! I keep him thin (some say skinny :-) and he's
still 75 lbs which is a good sized Golden. Don't give in to the
temptation to over-feed her. She's going to reach her pre-destined
size regardless. We just want them to reach it *slowly because it's
better for their bones and joints.
Mitzi Potter    OKC OK
Pyrs-R-Us@popline.com
http://www.popline.com/quinnz/dogs.htm