[PyrNet-L] Fwd: New Computer Viruses

---- Begin included message ----
At 06:23 PM 6/4/98 EDT, Mastifluv1@aol.com wrote:
>I just received this information.  I hope that you all are updating your
virus
>protection every month!

This message is a textbook case of Internet hoaxes.  The hysterical, all
CAPs exclamations, admonitions of dire consequences, and suggestions to
forward to everbody you know.  Real virus alerts don't look like that.

You can't get a virus simply by downloading or reading email.  Can't happen.

You get viruses by running software.  I know that can be a difficult
distinction for non-computer types, but it's an important one.  The primary
key is recognizing files with ".exe" at the end of the name.  That stands
for "executable" and it indicates runnable software.  If somebody sends you
an unsolicited .exe file, don't run it.  Delete it.  That means don't
double click on it.  Carefully put it in your trash or delete the message
it is attached to.

In general don't believe any big claims that don't originate (!) with
people you know and trust and have reason to believe know what they're
talking about.

This sort of hoax is right up there with "spam" (unsolicited email
advertising) as scourges of the Internet.  One is propagated by well
meaning folks who don't know better, vicimized by sniggering jerks.  The
other is a selfish money grab.

	Bob

---- End included message ----