Re: [PyrNet-L] -heartworm positive

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but....

I've had five dogs over the years that tested positive for heartworm. Most
of these were strays (rescues) that I took in.
After costly treatment for a couple showed that they lived no longer than
without, I talked at length with my vet about heartworm.  She agreed that
treatment doesn't necessarily guarantee that it will help the dog to live
any longer.  And she also agreed that heartworm doesn't always kill -- at
least sometime not for several years.  Heartworm was probably around for
decades before we knew how to diagnosis and treat it.

The last three dogs that I've had with a positive heartworm test, I had NOT
had treated with anything.   They have led full, active lives.  I always
intended that IF they would begin to show any signs of suffering from
heartworm (such as congested cough, signs similar to congestive heart
failure) that I would have them put down rather than have the heartworms
make them suffer slowly.  However, not one of them has shown any signs,
even though the oldest has now been heartworm positive for over five years.

I sometimes feel the heartworm treatments are medically and financially
unneccessary and risky.  My neighbor's dog died from the treatment for his
heartworm.

The newer dogs I have are all heartworm negative and on preventative
(including my Pyr) , and I hope to eventually have no heartworm-positive
dogs.  However, it is very common in this area, since it is a
mosquito-carried disease.

As long as you open your heart to strays and homeless dogs, you will find
cases of heartworm.  Please consider ALL of your options.

Tracy
pribb@feist.com        Bentley, Kansas
http://www.feist.com/~pribb