Re: [PyrNet-L] -heartworm positive

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:52:50 -0500, Tracy Pribbenow wrote:

 << The last three dogs that I've had with a positive heartworm test,
I had NOT
  had treated with anything.   They have led full, active lives.  I
always
  intended that IF they would begin to show any signs of suffering
from
  heartworm (such as congested cough, signs similar to congestive
heart
  failure) that I would have them put down rather than have the
heartworms
  make them suffer slowly.  However, not one of them has shown any
signs,
  even though the oldest has now been heartworm positive for over
five years.>>

Another thing you can do if you can't or won't treat for heartworms
is to give the dog Interceptor religiously for the rest of his life.
That will stop him from becoming reinfested, kill the baby heartworms
that the adult have and the adult worms will die of old age in a year
or 2. I'd sooner have the treatment and get those things out of
there, but this is another option that I know many people have
chosen. You can use Heartguard for this, just Interceptor.
Mitzi Potter    OKC OK
Pyrs-R-Us@popline.com
http://www.popline.com/quinnz/mit.html