Re: [PyrNet-L] Temperament and Heredity

Donna Coffman wrote:

> Temperament is of the utmost importance, and whether it be shy or
> aggressive, it should never be used in a breeding program.  That includes
> dogs whose owners make excuses for them when they misbehave in any
> environement other than their own home, e.g., the show ring, outside the
> ring, with strangers, etc.
> That's my 4 cents worth but (not having read all the posts), I'm sure
> everyone agrees on this subject.

Donna, you are so right. I did have one bitch that could act wierd
outside the ring. We went to a behaviorist and found out why - she was a
litter of one and did not know how to ask to play and then the other
dogs would mistake her way of asking as a threat and she didn't
understand. We took her out away from home with the trainer and a very
submissive dog and tested it. She did her thing and then proceeded to
play with the other dog, she is at the bridge now, but, I'm telling this
because it caused som severe criticism outside the ring. She TT'd
submissive. After we found out the source of the problem, we worked with
her and taught her that ringside was not the place to play and she was
wonderful.

Lisa