Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT: Pyr that bit

This is a tough one.  You have a dog that has bitten.  You are now
legally liable for any further mistakes.  Serious changes should be made
and met if even the thought of keeping this dog is in mind.  If they
cannot be made and met...owning any dog while in this situation should
be seriously reconsidered.
Having said that...and having forced myself to get past the part about
the child getting bit....
The dog did not persue.  This was not a mindless irrational response.
This dog was doing what it was bred to do.
Also...while I know this was a child...there needs to be an
understanding that dogs do not see people like we see each other.  Dogs
rely on movement, sound, smell, and body posture.  Thie child was
probably acting "aggressivly" in the "eyes" of the pyr.  Wether it was a
small predator or a tall one...the dog does not care.  This is why
owning these dogs is such a great responsibility....they are guardians
and will act like guardians, even when we think its inapropriot.
If the family wants to take on the repsonsibility of containing the dog
properly then I think it is a personal choice as to wether or not the
dog should be kept.  I don't think this is a case of "viscious"
dog...rather a case of mistaken identity.
However if they do not want the dog..they should by no means give it
away or put it in a shelter...they need to euthinize the dog.

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA

"Oh, to be loved by a dog!"