Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT: Pyr that bit

carol kirk wrote:

> I am posting this on the Pyr list for a friend who
> had a situation arise with her 4 year old intact male
> Pyr.
> She does not have a computer.
>
> Has anyone had experience with Pyr's biting in the
> face, especially a child.
>
> She had a situation arise where she was in the back
> of the house in the bathroom and her daughter was
> playing outside inthe neighborhood. She brought a
> friend into the front year to play but the friend
> heard the dog barking inside and ran to the side
> window and began banging on it, riling the door to
> his hind quarters.
>
> The girl left for a minute and decided she wanted to
> see the dog and without invitation opened the front
> door.  Before she did she rang the doorbell and the
> owners youngest daughter came to the door to see who
> it was and the two oppened the door (storm and
> inside) simultaneously.  The Pyr saw the strange girl
> who is 8, from across the room and charged over a
> slippery glazed tile floor.  He connected with her
> face causing about 80 stitches  mostly in the upper
> lip which he split up to the nose.  He also bit her
> in the buttocks and she fled.   He did not continue
> to pursue.
>
> My friend is very concerned that this dog has,
> crossed the line, with biting in the face and it
> being a child.
> She would like to hear input from the Pyr group.
> This was also posted onthe LGD net to which I
> subscribe as I have an LGD.  I will print these and
> mail them for her review.  IF you have questions I
> can phone her and respond.
>
> Oh yes, the dog had never met the victim before, she
> is new in the neighborhood.

I do not believe the dog should be put down as someone has already
suggested.  A pyr is a gaurdian and was gaurding his home and
territory.  I have people stop by my house all the time, and they always
seem to bang on the door or gates when the dogs are out or inside the
house.  This always brings about a lot of barking, snapping, growling,
lunging.  I am sure that if someone had opened our door after all that
banging my dog/s would lunge and attack.  If the child inside the house
was considered to be a "child" of the dog's in the dog's "eyes" then the
dog was right to respond in the manner he did.  Especially if this dog
has a high gaurding instinct.  For example:  you would not expect a pyr
to be out with a flock and have a wolf enter into it's territory and
just stand there and bark while the wolf gets closer to the flock.  This
is what I suspect the dog was fearing.

I feel the dog should get a second chance at gaurding his family.  And
then also to teach the child in the house what happens when you open the
door to a stranger even if its another child, as I think she has already
found out.

Just my two cents

Susan