Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Chat:Behavior, pyr that bit

> I have been told that any pyr that bites, should be euthanized.
> It is my understanding that even pyr's working as LGD's usually do
> not attack a predator.  They posture, threaten, stand their ground or
> chase the predator away. < Edd, are you there to respond?>
> It is my understanding that a  pyr that perceives a threat to his
> territory,  will growl, threaten, even knock a person down and stand
> over them, as well as 'hold' them until help arrives.  This is a
> serious issue regarding behavior/temperament and we would all be well
> served with continuing dialogue.
>
> We must all remember that we own a large, guardian breed and must be
> responsible for our dogs.  It is very easy to forget that they are
> not just big, fluffy, mushballs. Any one of us could be faced with a
> similar situation.  We may think we know the temperament of our dogs,
> until such a situation arises.
> While I agree biting should be the last resort...and with all the pyrs I
have met is. I kid you not, a working pyr will and can kill a
predator...and while you may think you have the most sweet and bidable
dog in the world...if he/she felt your life was on the line...he would
kill for you too.

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA