Fwd: [PyrNet-L] Re: Chat:Behavior, pyr that bit

I have been reading the posts on this subject with a lot of interest  because
about a year ago I went through a similar problem with my girl Rumor . Some of
you may remember. The damage to the neighbors child was not as extensive but
none the less the child was hurt by my dog. No my girl was not as aggressive
as the dog that Dave had, but none the less she showed aggressive  tendency's.
The one advice I was given by many members of this list and the other list was
get her OBEDIENCE trained right NOW. I think that it helped not only her
(Rumor) but it also helped my childern to know how to handle her and she is
being handled in a more uniformed way. I still see pushy behavior from
her(Rumor) around my youngest daughter (6yr old).  So for now the rule in our
house is if any small children want to come to play we just put Rumor out side
. I dont think she would be as aggressive as before but she (Rumor) can be
pushy and young children dont like a big dog in there face not leaving them
alone any more then a dog likes a child all over them and wont leave them
alone. So for my peace of mind this is the way we handle it. So I would tell
your friend to find a trainer that works with aggressive dogs and see what the
trainer feels after working with them.   Hope this helps Good luck

Joan
Rumor  ( I am getting alot better with age also MOM)
Timmy  the spaztic lab mix

---- Begin included message ----
> I have been told that any pyr that bites, should be euthanized.
> It is my understanding that even pyr's working as LGD's usually do
> not attack a predator.  They posture, threaten, stand their ground or
> chase the predator away. < Edd, are you there to respond?>
> It is my understanding that a  pyr that perceives a threat to his
> territory,  will growl, threaten, even knock a person down and stand
> over them, as well as 'hold' them until help arrives.  This is a
> serious issue regarding behavior/temperament and we would all be well
> served with continuing dialogue.
>
> We must all remember that we own a large, guardian breed and must be
> responsible for our dogs.  It is very easy to forget that they are
> not just big, fluffy, mushballs. Any one of us could be faced with a
> similar situation.  We may think we know the temperament of our dogs,
> until such a situation arises.
> While I agree biting should be the last resort...and with all the pyrs I
have met is. I kid you not, a working pyr will and can kill a
predator...and while you may think you have the most sweet and bidable
dog in the world...if he/she felt your life was on the line...he would
kill for you too.

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA