Re: Fwd: [PyrNet-L] Provoked aggression - advice?

I don't know about your area but here it is not safe
to put up warning signs.  What I mean is, put up a NO
TREASPASSING, or DO NO ENTER, but you are instantly
liable if you put up a beward of dog sign.  It shows
that you were aware inadvance that the dog had
attacking or biting tendancies.

---Jbird05@aol.com wrote:

> Patti is it possable for your friend to put up an 8
ft privacy fence at least
> on that property line between that neighbor? I know
it is an expence but it
> sure would make it very hard for them to reach over
and hit the dog. Or for
> that matter for the dog to beable to bite . Then
add the signs for good
> measure. Nothing is full proof short of one of them
moving and that dosnt seem

wrote:

> I'm sure I'm the unpopular opinion and am setting
myself up here, but
> I would expect my dog not to bite. I'd expect him
to back off like it
> sounds like that dog did. I'd be shocked beyond
belief if any of mine
> *did bite if that happened (I'm not a naive dog
owner, but I do know
> my dogs). You can bet *I* would bite when I saw the
neighbor do that
> though. I'm of the opinion that you can't give a
dog the impression
> that biting is "ok" under any circumstances. Each
instance is
> difference, but that's the rule I've always stuck
by. Growing is
> NEVER ok, and neither is nippping hands as pups nor
is biting. Under
> any circumstances. If I fail to protect my dog
against people who are
> going to hurt him, then I don't want *him to have
to pay with his
> life. And more times than not that's what happens.
Other people have
> dogs in other situations than I have mine in so
they're opinions on
> this are quite different, I'm sure. But that's what
I, personally,
> would expect from my dogs.
>
> >Anyway, today the pyr was running around the yard,
barked a few times,
> >warning others that her children (4 boys all
Elementary school age) were in
> >the backyard and she was there to protect them!
<g>  One of the nextdoor
> >neighbors yelled at the pyr to shut up.  So the
pyr walks over to that part
> >of the fence and barks at her.  The neighbor
climbs up on the wooden fence,
> >reaches over it, and smacks the pyr in the face!
My friend told the
> >neighbor that if she hit the dog again, she (my
friend) would hit her!  The
> >neighbor went in the house & slammed the door.
> >
> >I told my friend to be sure and let them know that
the pyr could bite them
> >if they reach their hand through or over the fence
anymore.  Kind of the
> >posted "no trespassing" sign thing.  What I'm
wondering, in todays society,
> >does the dog owner have any recourse at all?  Can
she call the cops for
> >animal cruelty or abuse?  If the neighbor does end
up getting bit because
> >she continues to torment the dog, will my friend
be liable?  You can
> >certainly call the police when someone hits your
child, can you do the same
> >with hitting your dog, or would they just laugh?
(you can certainly tell
> >I'm emotionally involved in this!)
> >
> >This dog has not shown any aggression before, but
I'm not sure how much