Re: [PyrNet-L] Provoked aggression - advice?

First, I want to thank everyone who responded to this.  I am passing on
info from the responses to my friend.  They have a 6' wood fenced in yard.
Her pyr did back off from the fence and probably won't get too aggressive -
but I can sure picture these so called neighbors causing more trouble!

> What I mean is, put up a NO
> TREASPASSING, or DO NO ENTER, but you are instantly
> liable if you put up a beward of dog sign.

I can understand the theory behind this but it sure makes it hard for dog
owners.  If you put up a sign you're liable, if you _don't_ put up a sign
you're liable!  Ughh!

> > You can
> > certainly call the police when someone hits your child, can you do the
same
> > with hitting your dog, or would they just laugh?
>
> I would report it - the problem is, that your friend has now threatened
> this neighbor with physical violence - this is where she could have a
> problem. Here, you can call when someone else hurts or torments your dog
> but, you'd better be willing to prosecute or the next time the police
> will not do a darn thing.

We recommended to her to report it if it happens again.  I hadn't thought
about my friends threat being an obstacle - but it sure could be!  I can't
imagine not being threatening if someone hit my dog!  I'd probably blow my
top!

> It sounds like your friend lives in a very anti dog
> community to start with and I suggest that she get herself copies of all
> the laws and ordinaces regarding dogs/animals and read them thouroughly
> and keep them on hand. Here the law is no barking between 11 pm and 7 am
> but, I had the cops called twice because of barking during the
> day(renters),

The police did give her a copy of the ordinance and in the city she lives
in, the ordinance does not state a time that dogs cannot bark.  It states
they cannot bark at all, night or day does not matter.  An owner will keep
their dog from barking at all times or be charged with breaking the noise
ordinance!

> I showed them a copy of the law and the fact that the
> callers cat was the one causeing them to go into barking fits and he
> left and told her to bring her cat in because it was at large(law
> prohibiting that as well) and causing the problem in the first place.

Wow!  I always thought cats had it made - here they don't have to be
licensed and they can run around as they please, as far as I know.  But the
cause of my friends pyr barking is the neighbors yelling at her - too bad
we don't have an ordinance against lousy neighbors at large!  <bg>

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com
Oregon