RE: [PyrNet-L] Rescued Dog Energy Level

My 2 (1 yr old female, 2 yr old male) got used to going for 2-3 walks a day
(approx 1 mile each time or 30 minutes), mainly because that is the schedule
we set for them I think. We are cutting back to 1 or 2 shorter walks because
of the heat (Atlanta), so around 1 to 1.5 miles a day, when it is hotter it
will be less. Sometimes we take them for a ride or to Petsmart shopping
instead of a walk. I think they like the change in scenery, people, smells
as much as the actual exercise. Both are good weights. We walk them in
different places whenever possible, there are some good trails here. As they
get older I think they will want less exercise, right from the start Trudeau
was always in the lead on the walk out and always lags behind on the way
home no matter how short or long the walk. Now that we have 2 they get more
of their own exercise playing too.

They do come asking for a walk, particularly early in the am. In the evening
they will follow me around for awhile checking to see if we are going but
again I think this is because we set the schedule.

I am constantly amazed at the calmness  I see from them, they sometimes lie
around for a good 75% of the 24 hour day just changing spots. (have to admit
I made alot of calls/trips to vet because I was afraid they were sick-he
always told me to wait it out for a few days and watch that they were
eating/pooping ok as an indicator that things were ok, if no change on the
3rd day in they went to vet). I do not regret any of my calls/trips to the
vet (my husband has a different opinion on that) for my peace of mind. As
time goes by I have got to know them better and less calls/trips to vet.

The male is even more low key than the female. Allie came from the pound and
had a terrible bout of kennel cough (sounded just like bronchitis and she
would not eat) vet used 2 different types of antibiotics and she finally
recovered but it took at least 2-3 weeks. She has always been more energetic
than her brother, even when she was sick.

Kelly