Re: Fwd: [PyrNet-L] Re: Chat:Behavior, pyr that bit

On Tue, 09 Jun 1998 18:28:54 -0400, Charlotte & Jack Perry wrote:

> I'm sure many of you
>have heard the story of our first Pyr - a dog that my husband kept
>saying "would never be a gaurd dog".  That dog loved everyone. One day
>in the middle of the day the doorbell rang.  When I went to the door the
>man outside thrust open the door and pushed me up against the wall.  The
>next thing I knew, my sweet dog who was asleep under the dining room
>table leapt at the man, hit him in the shoulders with his front paws and
>appeared to be in the process of attacking the man in the neck. I didn't
>have time to be frightened, I was simply apalled at my dog's ferocious
>behavior, growling, snarling etc.  The next thing I knew the man was
>running down the street and my dog went back under the table and went to
>sleep.  He never actually bit that man.  It was only later that I began
>to realize that the man was obviously up to no good. Anyway, to make a
>long story short, this is the type of temperament I want my dogs to
>have.  I want them to have the intelligence to do only what they need to
>do to guard their loved ones.

I've never heard the story but that's exactly how I would want mine
to be. And in 99.9% of cases they don't *have to bite. How many
people are going to continue to attack you with a snarling lunging
100-some lb dog coming after them?? My own family *knows darn well
that my dogs are gentle and friendly. But every time they come over
and the dogs are barking at the doorbell I see just a *little bit of
fear in their eyes when I open the door lol!
Mitzi Potter    OKC OK
Pyrs-R-Us@popline.com
http://www.popline.com/quinnz/mit.html