Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT: Pyr that bit

My two cents worth.....

If the adult was in the bathroom (?) who is actually telling what really
happened?   Two frightened 8 year old girls?  I am not protecting or
advocating the behavior of this pyr - but am wondering what really happened
here.  We can guess and analyze the situation with.....guarding behavior,
rank in the pack (seeing himself over the girl) - could the dog not trust
this child's instinct because she is just a child?  Should this girl have
been taught to NEVER open the door for anyone friend or foe after all she's
only 8?   Yadda yadda yadda...... The end result is a poor child has been
scared for life both mentally & physically.    The owner's have  to keep
that at the top of their list  when they are determining the dog's fate.

Owners need to be responsible as so do breeders when placing these beautiful
dogs in homes.   Educating them is extremely important.......they are after
all a "guarding" breed.

I was told by my breeder when I received my first pyr - "If you have any
friends who just walk in your house - tell them to stop and start knocking".
I thought ok and it didn't quite hit me at first, but when my girl was about
1 1/2 yrs old - my mother in law (who does not visit often) just walked in.
Murphy (my girl) jumped up on her and pressed her against the wall - very
sweetly I might ad - but my mother in law could not go any further into the
house. When I said hello and acknowledged our "rude" visitor (vbg) Murphy
went into a play stance and then proceeded to be her naturally charming self
<g>.    IMHO, Murphy responded appropriately - there was no crash entry and
Murphy at that young age accessed the situation in conjunction with my
behavior and reacted appropriately.    She was not aggressive at all but
made her point.

Obviously this has stirred up allot of attention and I hope we all will walk
away keeping in mind that we have a huge responsibility to our beautiful
dogs - we need to constantly educate ourselves, family and friends.
Households need to set rules, respect and be as consistent as possible with
our pyrs.   It is just simply our responsibility to maintain this truly
wonderful breed.

Take care,
D. Migas - NJ
jdmigas@email.msn.com