[PyrNet-L] was: Biting Pyr now : Dominance training

My
> problem is that my boyfriend's 7 year old son is coming into town in 2
> days, and I don't want Samson to nip at him.  It really hurts, but he
> keeps at it.  Anyone have any suggestions.  I love him dearly, and I do
> not want any accidents occuring.
>  Thanks for any input!  Autumn and Samson

You might want to start doing some domiance exercise with him.  When he
puts his mouth on you, ever, roll his lipsuner his teeth with your
fingers and push his mouth shut.  This will, in a sense, casue him to
bite himself.  At the same time give him a firm NO in a low strong
voice.
In the evening before he begins his acting up, put a leash on him so you
have a way to correct him efficiently.  When he acts up take him by the
scruff and lift his front feet off the ground, tell him no in a firm
strong voice.  Wait till he relaxes.  Afterward put him in a down stay
for 15min.  Then, if *you* feel like it, *you* decide to take him for a
walk.  Don't do it becasue *he* wants to.  If his behavior does not
improve, put him in his crate for a time out. Ignore him completely
while in his crate...and when you don put him in there don't be
correcting him or punishing him.  A crate should be a pleasant place but
also a place for time outs.  Take him out when you are ready to take him
for a walk.

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA