Re: [PyrNet-L] Girl that was bit

Sue433@aol.com wrote:

> << since this dog is a male, why is it around
>  children anyway? >>

I have an intact male pyr.  He is 4 years old.

When my 8 year old daughter has her friends over the rule is NO RUNNING
(unless they are outside away from our dog).  I know if they start to
play tag he is naturally going to want to join in.  He would never
purposely hurt them, but might knock them over accidently.

I also make sure that the door is always answered by either my husband
or myself.  My pyr is very protective of my daughter and therefore we
don't allow her to open the door. She knows if we can't get to the door
not to open it.

My dog is well known in our neighbourhood - almost everyone within a 1/2
mile of our house knows him as we take him for long walks at night.  He
is always friendly with other people - never growls.  He always sits and
gives the pyr pat.  Children have run at him waving sticks - he doesn't
react - but I do.  I immediately tell them to put the stick down and
then they can pat him. I've seen a lot of parents getting grey hairs as
they chase after their child who has just learned how to run as they run
right up to him and try to grab him.  I've trained him since puppyhood
to be used to having his ears and tail touched.  He never reacts - I
tell the parents they have nothing to worry about.  I put him in a sit
and explain to the young toddlers to pat him gently.

He is a true ambassador to his breed.

I believe that with training and good temperment, hopefully these kinds
of attacks can be avoided.

I was quite upset to here about this incident. I hope this little girl
will recover fully.

Mary