Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Chat:Behavior, pyr that bit

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:02:38 -0400, Magic Moment wrote:

>> If he did all the correct warnings, etc 1st? You bet I'd still trust
>> him. If he bit an 8 yr old kid who'd been banging on the windows then
>> came in the front door? No, I wouldn't trust that dog again. And by
>> not being able to trust him that would destroy the bond I had with
>> the dog. But GOLDENS have saved their masters in circumstances like
>> you mention. So it's a dog thing, not just a Pyr thing.
>
>Ok - the devils advocate in me again - now, what if that 8 year old was
>the size of an adult? I say this because my daughter is often mistaken
>for an adult and she's only turning 11.

<G> But my point is I expect my dogs not to attack (bite) no matter
WHO I (or any family member) open the door to. Even if that person
had been knocking on my windows and the dog was barking. If I open
the door to someone and they're not attacking me or hurting me, I
expect my dog not to bite them. It's irrelevent whether the person is
80 lbs or 300 lbs. My dogs have no business biting someone who I open
the door to if that person isn't knocking me to the ground and
attacking me. I expect them to take their cues from me. They don't
need to be "thinking for themselves" when one of us owners are
standing right there. Does that make any sense?
Dogs don't just all of a sudden "turn" bad. I can almost guarantee
(I'll never know because I don't live there) that there were more
than enough warning signs that somthing like this was coming with
that dog. Unless you really know dogs, you don't see the signs.
That's why things like this almost *never happen in homes where
people really "know" dogs.
Mitzi Potter    OKC OK
Pyrs-R-Us@popline.com
http://www.popline.com/quinnz/mit.html