Re: [PyrNet-L] Health:Parvovirus

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:11:07 -0500, JIMMY & DEE DEE STOTLER wrote:

>What is the incubation for Parvo?  I read vetnet but did not see this
>info.  It did confirm the idea of a park of any kind being a great place
>for infection.  Also, it said there is a window of sorts when the pup is
>about 5 months old.
>This whole thing is distressing. What is the best thing to do?  Give the
>$ back, offer another pup or say, Sorry.  I could really do any of
>these.  I've apologized til I'm blue and offered to give another pup
>(Ithink they have proven they will take care of him medically and the
>family is nice and surroundings were good too) or return the money.

The incubation period is 7-10 days tops. I can almost guarantee their
other pup will be sick within a few days. I feel SO sad for you! You
tried so hard with those pups! Sure, the park would be possible if
the pup sniffed where a dog with parvo had just went to the bathroom.
But not 17-18 days later! Do they have a fenced yard? Another stray
dog with the beginning stages of parvo could very easily come up and
lift his leg and pee on the fence and the pup comes along, sniffs the
fence and he's exposed. Parvo stays very much alive in the enviroment
for quite some time. Weeks to months. They can't safely put a young
pup back in their home. They'd almost have to get one over 5-6 months
who was fully vaccinated, plus re-vaccinate him before they brought
him home. I don't think you're at fault, but don't put another young
pup in there already, it's too soon for the puppy to be safe. Give it
a few days and their other puppy will be sick also (if it was in
fact, parvo). I'm so sorry Dee Dee!
Mitzi Potter   OKC  OK
Newfie@popline.com
http://www.popline.com/quinnz/mit.html