[PyrNet-L] Health:Parvovirus

We delivered one of our rescue pups to a new home 2 1/2 weeks ago.  The
pup would have been five months on the 26th of this month.  He had been
given his initial innoculations and was supposed to has gotten the
remaining ones by the adoptive family.

The family called me yesterday and said the pup was suffering with Parvo
and had spent the night at the vet's with an IV.  He was administered
steroids, worming medicine, and given vaccinations for rabies and
something else, which seemed like a lot for a very sick system.  I told
the family what I had done several years ago with a pup who had
contracted the disease and survived.

This a.m. they called back and said he had died during the night.  They
are not very happy with me.  I assured them the remaining litter mates
and mom and dad are clear and well and had my husband take them to the
vet this am to confirm. I told them he had *not been exposed to any
other dogs and had no been out of our yards except to the vet and the
new home.

This family had aquired a 10 week pyr pup the same week I delivered ours
to them.  The family says their other dogs have shown no sign of
illness...yet.  The *only place this leaves for transmission is a
roadside park we stopped at.  It never occured to me that such a brief
encounter could wipe out a life so quick and sure.

What is the incubation for Parvo?  I read vetnet but did not see this
info.  It did confirm the idea of a park of any kind being a great place
for infection.  Also, it said there is a window of sorts when the pup is
about 5 months old.

This whole thing is distressing. What is the best thing to do?  Give the
$ back, offer another pup or say, Sorry.  I could really do any of
these.  I've apologized til I'm blue and offered to give another pup
(Ithink they have proven they will take care of him medically and the
family is nice and surroundings were good too) or return the money.

He did mention specifically the amount of the vet bill, but I feel that
was his responsibility.

Thanks, Jimmy and Dee Dee in Texas