[PyrNet-L] Re: BEHAVIOR: Nipping & E. Vandermark's Post

Hi Elizabeth, Dave, & Monty,

Welcome! Just thought I'd add some of our experiences with a puppy (who's
now 5 mo.s)- in addition to all the good stuff David posted.

1. The time-out is a very good idea. I would also suggest playing with him
in an enclosed area that's already puppy-proofed and has a door. When he
nips or mouths, yip or scream ("ouch!" or some other vocalization) and leave
the room fast (clear disgust/dismay body language), closing the door behind
you. (Incidentally, this is taken from an Ian Dunbar book & someone else
posted this info., too, I think- just forget...). Give it anywhere from 5-15
minutes, then return to the room and see if Monty will play gently. Repeat
as necessary until you need a break. It is important to come back, though,
and to let him know you still love him, etc. Same thing for time-outs.
Return, set him up to "win" so he gets positive reinforcement from you for
being such a wonderful puppy, and give it time.

The goal here is for Monty to start realizing he loses a playmate if he
plays too rough.

By setting him up to "win", I mean- give him a "Sit" command or something
else you've taught him to do that he does reliably so that he can get
praise.

2. If you're not already enrolled in an obedience class, it's highly
recommended (as others have posted). It will not only give you more control,
it will give Monty a chance to play with others and to learn if he plays too
rough, he won't get to play much.

3. If possible, introduce him to adult dogs who are well-behaved- and have
them play with him. They can teach him a lot about bite inhibition.

4. If you sense he's not listening to you, etc., or your authority is very
much in question, please consult the article on alpha boot camp at
Catherine's site. It's worth reading (and putting into action). Mukki (our
pup) has already had a week's worth which seems to be enough. There are
variations on boot camp.

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library.htm

5. If you've really had enough of the nipping, and you've worked on the
down, settle, etc., one thing you can try which I'd advocate over the alpha
roll, is to place Monty on his side gently and keep him there until he stops
resisting. Then you can release him. If he persists, I'd hold him on his
side a little longer. Hold him by the head with one hand, with the other on
his rear thigh/legs so he can't get up. Use a firm but gentle hold.

6. Cultivate a Wrath-of-God voice. Or what I call the Alpha-She-Growl. This
is used as a last resort (for me, anyway) and only after 2 warnings have
been given- that's an arbitrary number, incidentally. I'm sure you're not
lacking in imagination- try to recall an incredibly upset and angry parent's
voice after a kid has done something really foolish and dangerous. You want
to inspire TERROR. And no, if done appropriately and correctly, your puppy
will not be traumatized or marred for life psychologically.

The alpha-SHE-growl I get from observing adult dogs discipline the younger
ones- then, I amplify it so it's sort of like thunder except more immediate
and dangerous- letting him know I'm incredibly annoyed.

It goes without saying, you can't be laughing while doing this or doing it
faintly or half-heartedly. Because it won't work. But I figure there's
nothing like multiple nips or your favorite clothes being torn to elicit
deep, hungry growls.

Incidentally, it also signals a time-out. That is, I want to be alone now,
or away from you, because you crossed the line buddy (pup) of what is
acceptable.

Hope some of these ideas are helpful. Just take or try what is useful to
you- there are tons of ideas and variations. You and Monty will find your
own way, I'm sure. Don't be discouraged.

I was- when this first started happening because I felt incredibly
incompetent. It took about a month of consistent work to teach bite
inhibition (and I kept reading about other pyrs who learned within a day, or
an hour!) and a week of alpha boot camp for Mukki to learn to tone it down.
Ice cubes help (because of the teething). Playing with other dogs helps too.
I very seldom need to make a correction- though I do have to say "No Bite"
firmly when he's feeling a bit playful- and tries weakly to mouth. That ends
it.

The alpha-she-growl is useful for other things. :-) It is the voice of
"She-who-must-be-Obeyed" (wasn't that on the Rumpole series?).

Good luck,
Christina & Mukki (who feels the red plastic finger, when I brush his teeth,
is fair game and not subject to the NO BITE rule)

P.S. They won't be puppies forever! Sometimes I want to smack all the people
who keep reminding me of that. But then, when I fall into Mukki's eyes when
I'm giving him a belly rub, or when he's particularly happy or
self-satisfied after a "kill" (of his toys, etc.), I feel very thankful
indeed. He's still our baby- particularly when he falls asleep on my lap. Or
comes to me straight from his gourmet feast of horse poop (on our hikes).
Sigh. Don't forget to take lots of pictures because I've been pretty lame
about taking them- and trying to be better now since they grow so fast!