Re: [PyrNet-L] pyr rescue question GENERAL

I'm not disagreeing in cases where the dog has bitten without real reason or
has a history of aggression. Those who work in rescue speak from experience,
I'm sure.

But I do reserve the right to be skeptical regarding all the aggression
claims made by humans about vicious dogs. I don't doubt there are aggressive
dogs. But I also don't doubt there are idiots or worse who encourage or
perpetuate certain abuses and tendencies. And then don't want to accept
responsibility for it. Or act out of ignorance. I've seen people who I
strongly felt ought NOT to have any sort of animal (let alone children)
living with them.

So I don't automatically think- gee if the owner couldn't live with this
dog, it ought to be destroyed. I'd prefer to find out what the reasons are.
And I do think good trainers, authentic trainers- are qualified to deal with
aggressive dogs (this does not necessarily translate to the owners). And if
not them, who? Who are the "experts"? While I don't doubt the value and need
for rescue groups- I do believe they will range in terms of policies,
experience, caliber, goals, etc.

How does a dog lose its ability to coexist peacefully? If it had it to begin
with, I'd say unless there was a medical condition, major loss of trust
regarding human society occurred somewhere along its lifetime.

I don't mind hard line stances if I can understand the reasoning- but we'd
never accept this sort of reasoning with regard to a violently anti-social
teenager.

I don't believe or accept that a dog's sole purpose is to exist with
humankind anymore than I believe or accept that my *sole* purpose is to be a
good wife to some man and bear children (I'm not knocking marriage or
children- it's just not all that I'm living for). Though I realize there's a
long historical relationship there regarding humans and dogs.

- Christina (& Mukki who says he doesn't live solely to be "my" dog although
I'm an acceptable human- he lives for himself and his love of life-
everything else is icing... that's also what gives me comfort in the event
that something nasty befalls me and Mukki moves to a new home- life
continues... siempre la vida!)