Re: [PyrNet-L] Barking question

Galaxi,
You have discovered the biggest problem with owning a Pyr.  They do bark
and bark and bark.  I don't think it has anything to do with what they
see - maybe more with what they hear.  I've come to the conclusion that
it is that territorial guard dog thing - telling the entire area that
they are there and to stay away.

Some people have good luck training their Pyrs that some barking is ok
and other barking is not.  This is not easy.  I once found that my dog
learned to bark because I would then bring her in the house where she
wanted to be. I did have some success getting the dog's attention by
shaking a can filled with stones or using a water gun or hose and at the
same time saying "no bark".  Eventually "no bark" would work unless
there was something important going on.

If you have one of those barkers that just keeps on barking and the
neighbors are complaining, you may want to consider having the debarking
operation done.  Many people, who otherwise might have had to get rid of
the Pyrs, have found this to be the best solution. The dog can  bark all
it likes without bothering the neighbors.

Charlotte