Re: [PyrNet-L] New puppy

<< Today, the puppy nipped my 10 year old in the face leaving marks where she
 broke the skin under his lip. What am I going to do? I have been trying
 different things with her nipping, as she has been drawing blood. We all
 thought she was catching on. We do the OUCH, yell NO, have tried holding her
 muzzle (makes her more aggressive), I even put Bitter Apple on my hands.
When
 will she stop the nipping?

Eileen,

My Pyr puppy did the nipping thing too when I first got her.  I spoke with my
obedience instructor and she offered to come to my home and give me a private
OB lesson since she was too young to start puppy class so  that I could learn
basic commands and start teaching her "no"  "sit" "stay" and mostly "NO BITE"
When she starts to nip at you take your hand and Pop her under the chin either
with hand straight or with a loose fist.  Since she was a young pup too, I did
not pop her with a whole lot of force, mostly it is the shock that stops them.
When you pop her in a very loud Alpha voice tell her NO BITE!!!  It only took
a couple of weeks for the nipping to stop with Sammi.  I also would try to
watch when she was around small children and prevent them from putting their
faces right smack within her reach.  What I have read explains it as puppies
when they are with their littermates nip and chew and wrestle with one another
so when the Mom sees it is getting to be too rough she will make quite the
loud Alpha bark and nip at them to stop it--I have heard other list members
talk about this and she is probably thinking that your child is like her
littermate and wants to play like she was used to with the other puppies.  You
must establish the Alpha role with her now so that she will learn her place in
the pack order to eliminate the chances of inciedences such as this from
occurring.  Have you read Alpha Boot Camp yet?  It is  great reading material
for training puppies.

Good luck,
Steph