RE: [PyrNet-L] New puppy

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:16:56 -0400, Murden, Deanna wrote:

>I agree the growling (once) and lack of response to some discipline are
>problems, specifically dominance problems.  However, I am shocked some
>of you readers are reccommending euthanasia!! It's a 10 week old
>puppy!!! Puppies jump and play, not agressively but **clumsily**!!!

This isn't "clumsy play", this is outright aggression.

>come on! these are "discipline" problems. How about more discipline than
>five minutes/day!!Geez! I'll bet she really is very smart as the
>original post states, how about harvesting those brains with some more
>work.

Aggression such as this in a tiny puppy isn't a discipline problem,
it's bad temperment. And that's something genetic that the dog
couldn't change if she wanted to.

>With a child at home and not knowing if the owner works during the day,
>I'll bet time is slim for training/attention with  the dog.  I'm not
>acusing, but too many people expect dogs to be wonderful all on their own.

I never expected any of my dogs to be "wonderful on their own". But I
certainly demand and expect that they never ever show aggressioin
towards me. And I'm sorry-but if I had a 10 wk old puppy who was
already snarling, biting and attacking-I'd put her down. I can show
you what happens to dogs like that who are allowed to grow up.......
And again-this is my own personal opinion, which is what she asked
for in the 1st place.
  Mitzi Potter   OKC  OK
  Pyrs-R-Us@popline.com
  http://www.popline.com/quinnz/dogs.htm