RE: [PyrNet-L] New puppy

Mitzi, if we took your advice, we wouldn't have Paddington now. He
demonstrated all the behaviors Eileen describes as a young puppy, although
he had been very carefully bred specifically for temperament. He'd had the
proper socialization in his litter, and to people. But the breeder knew he
was the dominante puppy, and *we* knew what we were taking on. Today, he's
the gentlest most wonderful creatures. I'd like you to see him waiting for
the children at the day school to overcome their disabilities to pick up a
treat for him, and then take it from their hands without ever
demonstrating that he even *has* teeth. At 7 months, after some intensive
training and lots of great advice, just 10 days post-surgery for patellar
luxation, he became the favorite "stuffed animal" for Peg's 2-year-old
granddaughter who'd previously been afraid of dogs.
So yes, of course the puppy needs immediate and good training, and there
may be genetic aggression problems, but it aint necessarily so!
Boy, did you push my buttons....this could be my boy you're talking about!
Ann W, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose