[PyrNet-L] Agressiveness vs Puppy Play

I am by no means an expert but I really wanted to make a comment on the
recent talk of puppy agression.

Agression, in dogs, is a normal state.  It is excepted and it is
learned, and it is shared.  Very early on, puppies show agressiveness.
The fight for a place at a nipple, they  jostle for a place that is
warm, for toys, ect.   Mom shows "agessiveness" toward puppies who get
out of line.  Agression is a vital part of the dog language.
In the leanring process of puppies, they are taught, by mother, when
agressiveness is okay, and through the experience of other littermates
when to much is too much.  They learn cause and affect, they learn pain
tolerence, they learn respect.
	It is normal for a puppy to test its boundries in a new home.
And it is up to the people who own the puppy to set the limits. However,
it is a fact, that some people simply cannot deal with some types of
personalities.  This is why it is so very important for a breeder to be
able to judge and evaluate puppies and place them with people whom they
can live with.
	Puppies who have lived on "top" in the litter will often be the
hardest to reprim.  they are used to having it "their" way, they are
used to bulling their litter mates.  they will do those same types of
behaviors with children, face biting, growling, ect.  This is where
dominace exercises come into play.  Nothing for free, everthing is
earned, the dog can't even breathe without asking.  Seem harsh?  you
bet.  The alpha is the one who sets the rules and if the person is to be
alpha then they need to act like it.
	On rare occasions you do find puppies who, for whatever reason,
lack in the ability to control their agression.  I had never seen a
puppy like that before, and before Sabastian I would have probably
argued their exsistance.  That it had to be early seperation (i.e. taken
from mom before 8 weeks). It had to be trauma, it had to be isolation,
anything, but something wrong with the dog.
	I brought Sabastian home at 9 weeks, I raised him with contact
to everyone and thing. I took him to nursing homes and out into public,
he was a gentelman.  I knew then that something was not quite right.  He
growled me once when I sat next to him on the sofa and I reprimmed him.
 I was not afraid, I knew how to deal with a dominant pup.  We worked on
down stays, we worked on alpha traing, everything.  He never
**outright*** challanged me again, he never hurt me, he did what I
asked, but as far a he was concerned the world, while he had managed to
except me, had no buisness exsisting.
	What I had thought was normal puppy play was actually a red
light to what was to come.  He would growl at strangers, react harshly
to disciplin, all this at a meer 10 weeks old.  While I was able to gain
control of him, he was never able to gain conttrol of himself, and that
led to his destruction.  It is so very, very difficult to analize what
is in the norm and what is not over e-mail.  This is why talking to an
experienced breeder who knows what the temperment of this breed should
be, is so very vital to the situation of this puppy.
	The person who bred the dog doesn't seem to be the best route to
take, I think a second, ditached, and neutral party would be best.  If
this can't be done, then the risk of waiting it out, is really to great
and the pup should probably be returned.
	There is absolutely no way of telling if this puppy is agressive
due to fear, dominance, or absolute insanity, but with what I have seen
produced from some "breeders" I would not be suprised at what it was
from.

--

Adrienne Wilder
Murrayville GA