[PyrNet-L] Fwd: HEALTH,CARE : recovery from nuetering-long

In a message dated 98-07-23 14:00:05 EDT, Sue 433 writes:

  This subject is still very fresh for me, three weeks ago, we had our pet Pyr
Pup, nuetered.  I have always spayed our female dogs before, and never up
until this point had a male but the females had always bounced back quite
quickly after the surgery so I really didn't think there would be any problems
this time, however I was wrong.  Our vet's policy is to keep the dog over
night and the next morning after the surgery we "tried" to pick him up. He
wasnt able to walk more than a few feet without laying down and then crying.
The vet looked at the sutures, said they looked fine but he strongly suggested
that he keep him for one more day to which we agreed. The following day, same
scenario, we picked him up, he walked 2 or 3 feet then again would lay down.
The vet along with two technicians helped me to load him in our van and said
perhaps he just needed to work this out and for us to take him home.  He
wouldn' even attempt to go outside, could hardly walk and we were in constant
contact with the vet, he finally agreed to taking the stitches out four days
early after looking at the sutures. We also experienced MANY accidents in the
house during those ten days (and he was fully housebroken), also he had
absolutely no appetite either and vomitted at least once a day for the fist 4
or 5 days.   It did however have a happy ending when we took him  at last  to
get the sutures removed, he slowly came
  back to the dog he was before the surgery.  Our vet said he never had this
type of experience with a large dog before, that usually it was with the toy
type dogs, (smaller breeds that sometimes complications would occur.)  We
asked if possibly he could have just had a low tolerance of pain or was it a
specific breed thing, he was unable to answer about the particualr breed,
becuase he said he didnt have enough experience with them so he then chalked
it up to the dog having a low tolerance of pain.  Is this the norm for this
type of surgery, Ive have always heard the positives of neutering and never
the downside so was just wondering if this was just a rare occurance.....Sue

---- Begin included message ----

<< < hat does everyone make of this scenario? Is he in pain from the
nuetering? >>

---- End included message ----